Monday, April 30, 2007

Dionysus of the Double Doors

I just wanted to comment a little about Jann and Chase's presentations on Dionysus.

Chase compared Dionysus to Jesus and found some pretty interesting correlations between the two.

Jann compared Dionysus from the Bacchae to the speech's Cheung Sui Cho gave in the videos he sent to the news after he claimed his first two victims at Virginia Tech.

I found it interesting that comparisons of the same person were made to two people perceived in completely different lights. I have to admit that everytime I hear about Cho it makes me feel uncomfortable and my stomach feels a little twisted up. Jann's presentation definitely gave me that same feeling. It seems entirely plausible that Cho, being an English student at Virginia Tech, would/could have been familiar with the Bacchae, and his speech did have a very familiar quality to Dionysus'. Since the incident, my friends are very quick to remind me how crazy English students are.

Chase's presentation, on the other hand, drew comparisons towards a completely different figure. Jesus, whether you are a Christian or not, is seen as an important, influential, and peace-loving figure.

It's strange that Dionysus can be compared to two completely different people, yet both the comparisons were very interesting and perceptive. It seems to put the "he of the double doors" thing on a whole new level.

No comments: