Monday, April 09, 2007

Random Thoughts

I really wish I knew what I was doing with this whole blogging thing. I browse around on other people's sites and they have all sorts of cool things going on. I always considered myself to be pretty good with computers but know I find myself second guessing myself. The only thing I really have figured out is how to post the blogs. Congrats to those who figured it all out. Elizabeth's site is amazing and filled with more information than I could possibly even care to know about. Thanks for all the hard work, I don't know how you find time.

I really enjoyed the Metamorphoses. I must admit that I didn't really know anything about it before this class. Now I not only understand that it is one of the most important works of all-time, but also why. Ovid is my hero (one of many I guess.) I would imagine that now it is easier to both type up 1000 pages than it would have been to compile back than...and it also has to be easier to get that work out to the public. How he did it way back then I don't exactly know. I know that I will probably never be as good of a writer and certainly nowhere near as good of a poet, but I hope that I can at least be as ambitious with whatever it is I hope to do.

So far my favorite thing we have read is probably the Symposium. It certainly isn't the most entertaining, but there is something about Plato that I just really like. His ideals are certainly admirable...and even in discussing more abstract issues such as love (I have also read Phaedrus which I have posted about before) he gets very interesting and specific ideas out there. I also have a soft spot for Greek tragedy ever since I read Oedipus Rex so the tragedies we have read have been a good experience. Of course Ovid's masterpiece is probably the best compilation of stories we will read (we'll see about the Golden Ass.)

I guess this blog doesn't really have much of a point. I have a little bit of a caffeine high and I wanted to take a break from studying. Good luck to everyone on the test.

No comments: